Seasonal Farmers Market Steward
Pacific Cloud Seafoods is a Buffalo, NY-based seafood company that primarily sources products from Alaska and New England. Our employees share a passion and love for providing wild-caught fish to seafood-loving Western New Yorkers. All while supporting small-boat fishermen around the continent, and more broadly, building a healthy and sustainable food system in the places where we live, work, and fish.
We are excited to invite applications for our 2021 outdoor farmers market season. Farmers Market Stewards are responsible for developing our farmer’s market presence by representing Pacific Cloud Seafoods all over WNY. At the market, stewards are expected to engage in conversations about the importance of sustainable seafood, establish friendly face-to-face connections with consumers, and help grow a robust Pacific Cloud Seafoods community by distributing our seafood.
Specific Position Responsibilities:
- Pickup and return fish, market kit, and supplies to and from our WNY brick and mortar location in Blackrock
- Arrive at the assigned market earlier, stay for the entire market length, and remain attentive throughout
- Set up market stand according to company standards and sell products
- Operate by Farmers Market Policies & Procedures
- Educate customers on our species, sustainable fishing methods, etc
- Follow Shopify register procedures for all product sales, including knowledge on discounts
- Grow the Pacific Cloud community by collecting emails, announcing events, and engaging customers about how they can help resolve issues within the seafood supply chain.
- Tear down market and neatly return materials
- Take pictures of the market, seafood, and contribute to company-relevant social media posts.
- Commitment to working one to five markets per week throughout the season (through October), including, a Saturday or Sunday
- Attend quarterly staff meetings and occasional one-on-one meetings with FM Team Manager
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; regular email correspondence is essential.
- High level of integrity, attention to detail, dependability, and punctuality
- Positive attitude and ability to work independently with minimal guidance
- Willingness to learn and try new things
- Passion for seafood and local supply chain
- Interest in sustainable food systems
- Ability to lift upwards of 30 lbs.
- High school graduate, some college preferred
- Sales and cash handling experience preferred but not required
- Hold a valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle;
- Must submit driving record within two weeks of hire for company vehicle use
Preference will be given to applicants willing to work both weekdays and weekends.
Job Scope and Compensation:
- This position will require 1 to 4 markets per week during the outdoor season, mid-May/June thru October, depending on availability for multiple markets per week.
- The pay rate is $15.00 per hour.
- Additional compensation opportunities include commission and monthly employee seafood share
- Mileage reimbursement for the use of personal vehicles from hub to market and return to the hub ($0.30/mile)
- Opportunities available for more hours processing inventory and managing products